These Gluten-Free Scalloped Potatoes in Tom Kha Sauce are rich, zesty, spicy, and are an explosion of flavour on your tastebuds. You’ll love this comforting dish anytime, and it can either be served as a main or a side dish. Perfect for sharing during these chilly spring nights. Vegan + Paleo + Whole30
Why you will love these Scalloped Potatoes
- They’re healthy! Packed with real-food ingredients, these gluten-free scalloped potatoes and whole30 complian and dairy-free but still taste rich and creamy.
- Two recipes in one! It starts with a simple Tom Kha Soup recipe – you could easily just add protein and have a yummy soup, or make a double batch of the broth to have both!
- It’s such a comforting recipe. The combination of potatoes, coconut milk, and cashews is so comforting and filling – it feels very decadent.
How to make Tom Kha Gluten-Free Scalloped Potatoes
- Make your broth first. Sauté the onions, then the rest of the fragrant veggies/spices.
2. Add one can of coconut milk, mix until the cream has melted. Repeat with 2nd can of coconut milk, before adding cashew cream. Stir until well combined. Let simmer for 10 mins, or longer, to really bring out those zesty flavours.
3. Slice potatoes into 1/2cm thick pieces. Layer potatoes in baking dish, then broth, and repeat 2 more times, or until all the potatoes and broth are in the pan.
4. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 60 mins, until tender.
5. Remove foil and bake for another 10 mins or until the top layer is golden brown.
Things to note.
- Watch the soup as it simmers! Mine boiled over, oops.
- Cut the lemongrass very finely – more fine than mine in the video – to avoid pieces that are more difficult to chew.
- Add another chilli if you like the heat.
- Salt! You’ll need more than you think – be generous.
- Kaffir leaves can be found in your local supermarket’s spice section, in a regular spice jar (I found mine at Tesco, so it’s fairly common).
- Lemongrass is in the fresh produce section, usually near packaged fresh herbs.
- You could make this with sweet potatoes instead of yellow potatoes. It would pretty much be like a slightly spicy dessert to me at that point, yum!
- How about trying mixed root veg? Parsnips, turnips, carrots, plus potatoes! A scalloped veggie rainbow =]
More Side Dish Recipes
- WHOLE30 MASHED POTATOES
- FROZEN SWEET POTATO FRIES IN AIR FRYER
- HEALTHY BRUSCHETTA WITH AVOCADO
- HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE
- PARSNIP PUREE WITH RED CHILI FLAKES
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please give it 5 stars with a review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.
Tom Kha Scalloped Potatoes
- 1.5 kilograms yellow potatoes 3.5 lbs
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger minced
- 1 stalk of lemongrass minced
- 2 red chillis diced
- 800 ml coconut milk 2 cans
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 110 grams cashews 1 cup
- 300 ml boiling water
- Grease a large baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Add cashews to boiled water and let sit. Soak kaffir lime leaves in warm water.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over medium heat. Saute onion for two minutes.
- Add lemongrass, garlic, ginger and chili peppers, sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and kaffir lime leaves. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for 10 mins.
- Season with salt to taste, about 2-3 tsp. Be generous – the potatoes will soak it up!
- Blend cashews and water in a food processor or blender.
- Add to coconut broth, season again if needed.
- Lay 1/3 of sliced potatoes in the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of coconut broth over. Repeat two more times.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 60 mins.
- Remove aluminium and bake for another 10 mins, until golden.
- Garnish with fresh coriander (optional).