Simple, quick, and better than store-bought, this Keto Breakfast Sausage Recipe is the best thing to wake up to in the morning! Make a batch for the week – they keep well in the fridge and can be eaten either hot or cold. Perfect for breakfast or a protein-packed snack, these keto sausage patties are whole30 compliant, paleo, and gluten-free too!
Why you will love this Homemade Keto Sausage Recipe
- It’s quick and easy! Toss the ingredients into a mixing bowl, mix well together (I smoosh everything together with my hands to really get it all integrated), fry them in a pan for 10 minutes…aaaaand done!
- These sausages are delicious! Herby, salty, and a little smokey with the occasional pop of coriander seeds, these whole30 sausage patties are so tasty and have a fun texture.
- Perfect anytime! I enjoy this homemade keto sausage recipe for breakfast, brunch, snacks (get that protein!), and when I’m having a breakfast kind of dinner. I also like to add this sausage to casseroles like my Whole30 Breakfast Casserole or my Keto Sausage Stuffing.
- You can make them for later: This breakfast sausage recipe can be made ahead of time and either reheated or eaten cold. I love making a big batch to munch on throughout the week.
Key ingredients for Whole30 Sausage
- Pork mince: Ground pork is the only meat added to this recipe. I like making my own sausage because I don’t need to add any additives or preservatives like store-bought brands do. Ground beef is an excellent substitute, or a mix of the two.
- Spices & herbs: The herbs I mixed in were sage and thyme (classic sausage herbs) as well as coriander seeds. I live the occasional pop of flavor the seeds add, and I think the texture is quite fun when it “pops”. I also added smoked paprika for a hint of smokiness, cayenne for a little heat, and plenty of ground black pepper.
- Salt: I find sausage can be very salty so I held back a little on the salt. To me, it’s seasoned perfectly, but you may want to add more if you like a salty sausage.
How to make this Keto Sausage Recipe
Click through this story for all of the steps!
Storing and Reheating:
- Fridge: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in the oven until hot.
- Freezer: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating.
Making the sausage patties:
- I find that mixing the meat and spices with my hands is the best way to distribute the seasonings evenly. Pop everything in a mixing bowl and knead it all together.
- If you prefer more heat, add another 1/2-1 tsp of cayenne powder to this keto sausage recipe. I like about 1 tsp – warm and spicy but not too hot.
- Sausage tends to be really salty and I’m not a huge fan of saltiness (unless it’s pistachios…). If you like yours saltier, add another 1/2 tsp.
- Depending on the heat of your pan, you may need to cook the whole30 sausage patties for a little longer than 5 minutes on each side. When the sausage turns a darker brown, almost black in spots, they are cooked perfectly. Try not to over-cook them – they’ll dry out if left on the heat for too long.
- When reheating the sausages, consider adding a small dish of water into the oven or microwave beside the sausages so that they don’t dry out.
Is sausage good for keto?
Generally, sausage is great for keto! And I mean all kinds of sausage: breakfast sausage, link sausages, chicken sausage, chorizo, salami, Italian sausage, etc. The best thing to do if in doubt when buying sausage is to check the label. Look at the grams of carbohydrates. Stick to a low number like 3g net carbs per sausage, ideally less. If you decide to make your own like this keto sausage recipe, there will be far fewer carbs. These sausage patties come to just 1g net carbs per sausage!
More breakfast recipes you will love
- HEALTHY BREAKFAST CASSEROLE RECIPE
- KETO FLAXSEED PUDDING RECIPE
- KETO HAM AND CHEESE FRITTATA RECIPE
- GREEK CRUSTLESS QUICHE – SFOUGATO
- AIR FRYER TURKEY BACON
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.
Whole30 Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- 500 g ground pork or ground beef, or a mix of both
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add everything (ground pork, smoked paprika, dried sage, coriander seeds, dried thyme, cayenne powder, pepper and salt) apart from the olive oil to a mixing bowl and mix well together. Don't be afraid to use your hands!
- Form the sausage mixture into round, 2-3 inch balls and flatten them down into a circular patty shape.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium-large pan over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the patties and fry for 5 minutes on each side, until they begin to brown. You may need to do a couple of batches if they don't all fit in the pan.
- Remove from the pan when they're finished cooking and serve immediately or allow them to cool and store for later.
- Serve as part of a healthy, balanced breakfast with eggs, bacon, tomatoes, fried mushrooms and fresh fruit.