Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the Tex-Mex Cheese dream you’ve been craving! Made with pantry staples like cheese, cream cheese, rotisserie chicken, and enchilada sauce, this easy keto dinner recipe comes together in just 25 minutes. Perfect for an easy weeknight meal to use up leftover chicken or turkey.
❤️ Why you will love this recipe
- It’s easy! Mix it up, add toppings, and bake – really couldn’t be easier!
- It uses pantry staples: Everything in this recipe can be store-bought instead of freshly made, although I did use my Keto Enchilada Sauce and made some instant pot shredded chicken.
- Great for meal prep: I made a large batch of this and saved half for later in the week. It reheats really well and tastes even better the second time. You can even store it in the casserole dish it was cooked in.
- You can use leftover meat! This is a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken or even a holiday turkey.
- It’s really low-carb! Only 6.4g net carbs per serving, so it can easily fit into your macros! I like to eat this low-carb chicken enchilada casserole on its own, but you could have a veggie side like my AMAZING guacamole, spaghetti squash, sautéed zucchini, or a simple salad with it.
🗝️ Key Ingredients for Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole:
Chicken: Shredded cooked chicken breast is ideal for this recipe. Store-bought rotisserie chicken is great, or you can make your own shredded chicken breast in an instant pot or slow cooker. I made the instant pot method. My raw chicken weighed 1kg (2.2lbs) and cooked it weighed 670g (1lb 7oz). Diced chicken breast can be substituted, or you could also use up leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Cheese: Both cheddar cheese and mozzarella were my cheeses of choice this time (although if I could find Pepper Jack Cheese I would’ve opted for that instead of cheddar). The kind of mozzarella I used was a firm block of mozzarella cheese (I grated it), not soft buffalo mozzarella. You can also use pre-shredded cheese but it may be slightly higher in carbs than the block of cheese. The mozzarella makes it oozy and delightful. Mexican blend cheese and Monterey jack cheese are good alternatives to cheddar cheese.
Cream Cheese: I added 2 packages of 180g Philadelphia cream cheese to this recipe.
Enchilada Sauce: My Keto Enchilada Sauce is SO good! Definitely the best option for this recipe, although store-bought enchilada sauce will work as well. Watch out for the carbs if using store-bought! Check below for more information.
Green Chilies: I topped this Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole with diced fresh green chilies. Feel free to use canned if you can access them – we don’t have them in the UK.
🥣 How to Make Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Optional: You can begin by making your own enchilada sauce. I made my keto enchilada sauce for this recipe. It’s spicy and absolutely delicious!
1. Heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, grate cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese, and mix the shredded cheese together.
3. In a large bowl, mix 1 cup of the enchilada sauce with the cream cheese, half of the mixed shredded cheese, and the shredded chicken together well.
4. Spread the chicken mixture evenly in a 9×13″ casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the chicken mixture, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the cheese, and then sprinkle with fresh diced chilies.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese melts and is a little bubbly on the edges.
7. Serve your chicken enchilada casserole with fresh cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
Leftover Chicken Enchiladas can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Reheat it thoroughly in the microwave or oven before consuming.
❓ How many net carbs are in this recipe?
There are 6.4g net carbs per portion of this Keto Enchilada Casserole. Perfect for a low carb or keto diet, even when served with a low carb vegetable side dish.
🍗 What kind of chicken should I use?
Shredded chicken breast is what I used for this chicken enchilada casserole recipe. I cooked 1kg (2.2lbs) of raw chicken in my instant pot for 10 minutes on high pressure and released the pressure naturally (didn’t open the valve). The chicken fell apart easily when it was finished cooking. For the full instructions check out my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe.
You could also slow-cook chicken breasts overnight and shred them, buy pre-cooked chicken that’s already shredded, or even buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it. In a pinch, you can use diced cooked chicken breasts instead.
Boneless Skinless chicken thighs are also a fantastic option for this enchilada casserole. The dark meat is so juicy!
Have too much leftover chicken or turkey from Christmas or Thanksgiving? This is an easy and delicious way to use it up, and kickstart your Keto New Year goals!
🤔 What is a good keto-friendly enchilada sauce?
My homemade keto enchilada sauce recipe is perfect for this chicken enchilada casserole recipe. It’s made with onion, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomato paste, and beef broth and is so tasty.
You can also use store-bought red enchilada sauce. Some brands that are low carb include 365 from Whole Foods, El Pato, and Las Palmas is great for dirty keto. Always read the nutritional information on the enchilada sauce bottle to check that it is low in net carbs.
🍽️ What can I serve with this Keto Enchilada Casserole recipe?
Low-carb tortillas are my go-to for this gluten-free recipe. It makes it feel like traditional enchiladas!
Cauliflower or broccoli rice is a great keto rice substitute or you could try something a little fancier like Mexican Cauliflower Rice.
Other sauces and condiments that go well with chicken enchiladas include sour cream, guacamole, taco truck green sauce, straight-up avocado slices, and Roasted Tomatillo Avocado Salsa.
😋 More Mexican recipes you will love
- Mexican Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Low Carb Guacamole
- Best Vegan Queso (ever)
- Keto Crispy Beef Carnitas
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.
Keto Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups 454g red enchilada sauce, divided (See Note 1 for homemade recipe)
- 670 g /1lb 7 oz shredded chicken or diced chicken, or leftover turkey (see note 2 for homemade recipe)
- 360 g 12.5oz cream cheese
- 200 g 7oz cheddar cheese, or Pepper Jack, grated
- 200 g 7oz mozzarella, grated from a firm block or pre-shredded bag (not soft buffalo)
- 2 green chilies diced
- 1 squeeze fresh lime to garnish, optional
- fresh cilantro to garnish, optional
- Heat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, grate and mix the two cheeses together.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup of the enchilada sauce with the cream cheese, half of the mixed shredded cheese, and the shredded chicken together well.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a 9×13" casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the cheese, and then sprinkle with fresh diced chilies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese melts and is a little bubbly on the edges.
- Serve your chicken enchilada casserole with fresh cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream, in low-carb tortillas if desired.
- Enchilada Sauce: Here is a link to my keto enchilada sauce recipe.
- Chicken: Here is a link to my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Recipe that I used to make chicken enchiladas. I added 1kg/2.5 lbs of raw chicken breasts and a cup (227g) of chicken stock to the instant pot. The cooked chicken weight was 670g/1lb 7oz.