This Baked Camembert Recipe with honey is the ultimate moreish appetizer. Choose from a vegetarian option with rosemary, chilies, and honey, or the ultimate bacon and basil-loaded version – or make both! Crowd-pleasing and delicious with crackers, these easy Baked Camembert recipes will go down a treat for any cheese lover.
This post was originally published on October 12th, 2021.
🧀 Baked Camembert Cheese with Honey
We have wine and cheese nights once per week at our house…just the two of us. Talk about decadence! Camembert became a favorite of mine while I was pregnant because when it is baked, it’s safe for you and the baby. Needless to say, I made several baked camemberts as they make a fantastic appetizer, and these are two of the best recipes I put together. The vegetarian option: Baked Camembert with honey, rosemary, and chilies, and the meaty version: Baked Camembert with honey, basil, chilies, and, you guessed it, bacon.
❤️ Why you will love these soft cheese recipes:
- They’re easy. So, so easy to throw together. Prep takes around 5 minutes for the veggie option, 10 for the meat, and then just 15 minutes of baking. Perfect for those who want to look very fancy with minimum effort (that’s everyone, right?).
- You have options. Make one or make both of these cheesy crowd-pleasers!
- They’re keto-friendly. Yay! 1/4 of this recipe comes to 3g net carbs, even with the honey. So easy to fit into your macros for the day.
- They will be a hit! I promise, there will be none left if you make these for a party. Might as well make double!
🗝️ Key Ingredients & Substitutions
- Camembert: Le Rustique is my favorite – this creamy cheese melts so well, but any brand like Présidant or your local supermarket’s brand will work great.
- Honey: Honey really makes this recipe next level. Just a hint of sweetness goes so well with Camembert cheese!
- Chilies: A little kick of heat, red pepper flakes bring in a wonderful warmth. There’s nothing quite like sweet & spicy.
- Rosemary: You could substitute fresh thyme sprigs or basil, but the classic baked camembert recipe usually has fresh rosemary in it, and it is delicious!
- Basil: Just to switch things up a little, I added basil instead of rosemary. You could substitute thyme or rosemary instead.
- Bacon: I cooked the bacon slightly before adding it to the camembert so that it became crispy in the oven and neither undercooked nor burnt.
🥣 How to make Baked Camembert with Honey: 2 Ways
Follow these easy step-by-step instructions on how to make these delicious honey-baked camembert appetizers, or check out the video in the recipe card further down the page:
1. Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
2. If using bacon, dice and cook it in a frying pan over medium heat until it is cooked but not crispy, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove the plastic wrapping from the wheel of Camembert and place it back into its wooden or cardboard box on top of a small baking sheet, with parchment paper or tin foil under the cardboard or wooden box.
4. Score the top of the Camembert with a sharp knife 3-4 times horizontally and 3-4 times vertically.
5. Add the toppings to the top of the cheese beginning with the fresh herbs, and chili flakes, then drizzle honey.
6. Add the crispy bacon on top if you’re using it.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until the gooey cheese is soft and melted inside.
8. Season with a crack of black pepper and serve the melty cheese immediately with a drizzle of olive oil on a serving platter with some crackers or crusty bread of your choice.
❓ Can you eat the skin of a baked camembert?
Yes, absolutely. The camembert rind is 100 % edible, and also tastes good! The white rind is edible on all soft-ripened cheeses like Camembert and Brie.
📦 Can you bake camembert without the box?
You can. I would advise using the box it comes in as that’s what it’s for, but you could switch it over to a ramekin, a small baking dish like Le Creuset Camembert Baker, or a small springform cake pan if desired.
🔥 How long should you heat the camembert?
I found that baking this baked camembert recipe at 175°C/350°F for 15 minutes was absolutely perfect to make the center of the hot cheese gooey and melty, and the melted camembert stayed melted for 30 minutes after cooking.
🤔 Can I use Brie Cheese instead of Camembert Cheese?
Absolutely! These recipes would be great with brie.
😋 More Recipes for Sharing
- WHOLE30 BRUSCHETTA WITH AVOCADO
- LOADED VEGAN QUESO DIP
- KETO PUMPKIN MINI CHEESECAKES
- PALEO VEGAN JALAPEÑO POPPERS
- BLACK CHERRY FROZEN MARGARITAS
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.
Baked Camembert Recipe with Honey
Baked Camembert with Honey, Rosemary, and Chili Flakes
- 1 Camembert cheese wheel
- 1 spring fresh rosemary
- 1/4-1/2 tsp dried red chili pepper flakes to taste
- 2 tsp honey
Baked Camembert with Honey, Bacon, Basil, and Chili Flakes
- 1 Camembert wheel
- 3 strips streaky bacon diced
- 2 sprigs fresh basil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp dried red chili pepper flakes to taste
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
- If using bacon, dice and cook it in a frying pan over medium heat until it is cooked but not crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrapping from the wheel of Camembert and place it back into its wooden or cardboard box on top of a small baking sheet, with parchment paper or tin foil under the cardboard or wooden box.
- Score the top of the Camembert with a sharp knife 3 times horizontally and 3 times vertically.
- Add the toppings to the top of the cheese beginning with the fresh herbs, and chili flakes, then drizzle honey.
- Add the crispy bacon on top if you're using it.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, until the gooey cheese is soft and melted inside.
- Season with a crack of black pepper and serve the melty cheese immediately with a drizzle of olive oil on a serving platter with some crackers or crusty bread of your choice.