Perfect for taking to potlucks, Chicken Salad is perfect for sharing! What else goes with Chicken Salad? Here is my list of 50+ chicken salad side dishes, including some grilled, gluten-free, and keto-friendly options!
🍽️ What to serve with Chicken Salad?
One of the best side dishes for cookouts, baby showers and also meal prep for lunch, Chicken Salad is a good idea anytime! This classic dish is loaded with simple ingredients like cooked chicken, creamy mayonnaise, grapes for a crunchy texture (or sometimes crunchy celery), green onions (or red onion), and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. But…what to serve with chicken salad?
Well, first of all, you’ll need some chicken salad! My favorite Chicken Salad recipe is my Whole30 Chicken Salad. It’s so easy to make with shredded chicken breast, and it’s a great way to use up leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken. You can serve this healthy chicken salad as a main dish and it also makes a great side dish. The best thing for me about this traditional chicken salad recipe is that it is excellent for meal prep, keeps so well in an airtight container in the fridge, and tastes even better the next day! Check out this easy chicken salad recipe for all of the instructions, and read on for the best way to serve this classic recipe!
🥪 Serve Chicken Salad as a filling
Chicken salad tastes great both as a filling and as a topping! Here are some of my favorite ways to serve chicken salad:
- Baked Potato
- Baked Sweet Potato
- As Chicken Salad Sandwiches on whole wheat, seeded, gluten-free or white bread.
- In a wrap or pita bread with green salad leaves
- Over a bed of lettuce and fresh veggies in a salad
- Stuffed inside Bell Peppers for a nice crunch!
- With a side of sweet potato chips to act as a scoop.
🥗 Fresh Salads
These healthy side dishes are loaded with fresh vegetables for some extra crunch! Chicken Salad goes perfectly with fresh salads because they are both cold, and adding it to the side of a salad is a complete, healthy meal. Perfect for lunch or a light dinner!
1. Pickled Beet Salad by Gallaxy Gastronomy
2. Cucumber Salad by Amanda’s Cookin’
3. Cucumber and Tomato Salad with Balsamic and Fresh Dill by Hoorah To Health
4. Spinach Salad with Strawberries, Bacon, and Lemon Maple Dressing by Joyous Apron
5. Arugula Salad with Apples and Quinoa by Vanilla Bean Cuisine
6. BLT Salad by Little Home in the Making
Soup and salad is a classic combo! I think they go particularly well together as soups can be quite light, and the extra protein boost from chicken salad is filling. Definitely much more filling than a slice of bread!
7. Healthy Corn and Zucchini Chowder by The Forked Spoon
8. Cream of Broccoli Soup by Salt & Lavender
9. Roasted Pumpkin Veggie Soup by Caramel Tinted Life
10. Butternut Squash Soup by Small Town Woman
🍝 Pasta Salads
With all pasta salads, you can substitute the regular pasta for gluten-free pasta. I quite like lentil-based pasta at the moment for extra protein! I even occasionally like to mix my chicken salad into a pasta salad. It’s really hearty and filling, perfect for dinner or lunch.
11. Italian Pasta Salad by Strength and Sunshine
12. Loaded Vegetable Greek Pasta Salad by Healthy with a Chance of Sprinkles
13. Nana’s Macaroni Salad by Amanda’s Cookin’
14. Pesto Pasta Salad by A Paige of Positivity
15. Macaroni Dill Creamy Salad Recipe with Sour Cream by Simply Stacie
🍓 Fruit Salads
A kick of sweetness to counter a savory chicken salad is absolutely delicious. It’s like dinner and dessert on the same plate!
16. Beet, Watermelon & Feta Salad by Gennifer Rose
17. Cantaloupe Feta Mint Salad by A Paige of Positivity
18. Fresh Fruit Salad with Honey and Lime Juice by Fantabulosity
19. Strawberry Rhubarb Salad by The Fresh Cooky
Bread and chicken salad were just made for each other! These bread recipes are all gluten-free alternatives to regular bread. I find that homemade tastes much better than store-bought!
20. Gluten Free Oat and Seed Bread (with sesame seeds) by Cooking with Elo
21. The Best Gluten-Free Flaky Biscuits by Fearless Dining
22. Easy Homemade Gluten-Free Bread by No Dash of Gluten
23. Quinoa Bread by iFoodReal
24. Gluten-Free Turkish Cornbread by Give Recipe
25. Vegan Gluten-Free Bagels by Cooking with Elo
26. Oatcakes by Christina’s Cucina
27. Gluten-Free Hush Puppies by Strength and Sunshine
🔥 On the Grill
Chicken salad is often a side dish to a cookout, so this mini section includes a few grilling recipes.
28. Grilled Vegetables by Dinner at the Zoo
29. Grilled Corn on the Cob by Amanda’s Cookin’
30. Grilled Zucchini by Kitchen and a Latte
Beans are pretty common side dishes for cookouts and potlucks as well and tend to pair really well with chicken salad.
31. Mixed Bean Salad by Plant-Based on a Budget
32. Old Fashioned Baked Beans (vegan) by Strength and Sunshine
33. Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad by Salt and Lavender
34. Easy Slow Cooker Pineapple Baked Beans by The Salty Pot
35. Greek Roasted Gigantes Beans by The Greek Foodie
🥕 Vegetable Side Dishes
Pick a couple of these to pair with an amazing chicken salad and you have a full meal! I’ve included a few instant pot recipes as they are so quick and easy to throw together.
36. Air Fryer Honey Butter Carrots by Gallaxy Gastronomy
37. Classic Coleslaw Recipe by Gallaxy Gastronomy
38. Broccoli Salad with Sweet Lemon Dressing by The Healthy Epicurean
39. Burrata Caprese with Balsamic Vinegar Glaze by The Heirloom Pantry
40. Curry Roasted Carrots by More with Less Today
41. Instant Pot Asparagus by Pinch of Wellness
42. Shortcut Sweet Heat Dill Pickles and Vidalia Onions by Grits and Gouda
43. Instant Pot Corn on the Cob by Monday is Meatloaf
Fries, sweet potato fries, potato salad, they all pair perfectly with chicken salad!
44. Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries by Gallaxy Gastronomy
45. Creamy Dill Pickle Potato Salad Recipe by Sustain my Cooking Habit
46. Herbed Roasted Potato Salad (this is my favorite way to make potato salad!) by Through The Fibro Fog
47. Oven Baked Potato Wedges by Aleka’s Get Together
48. Spicy Air Fryer Potato Wedges by The Sassy Foodie
49. Air Fryer French Fries (from scratch!) by Nourish Plate
50. Air Fryer Frozen Chips by We Eat At Last
51. Homemade BBQ Potato Chips by Chocolate Moosey (check out their salt & vinegar crisps as well!)
🧀 Keto-Friendly Options
Chicken Salad is easily made keto-friendly, so I had to include a section here for my keto readers!
52. Keto Crackers by Summer Yule
53. Almond Flour Drop Biscuits by Low Carb Yum
54. Almond Flour Cornbread by Joy Filled Eats
55. Roasted Radishes by Like Hot Keto
56. Garlic Butter Brussels Sprouts by Eating Works
57. Roasted Broccoli by The Cozy Cook
⏳ How long does chicken salad last, and how to store it?
Chicken salad can last for hours at room temperature, days in the fridge, and months in the freezer! Check out my in-depth post for all of the details on the best ways to store chicken salad: How Long Does Chicken Salad Last (6 things to look out for!)
😋 More Recipe Roundups to check out
- 60+ Lazy Vegan Recipes
- 36 Lazy Keto Breakfast Recipes
- 19 Gluten Free Christmas Recipes
- 125 Easy Sides for Steak Bites
- 30+ Air Fryer Beef Recipes
Have you tried any of these recipes? I’d love to know <3 Tag me (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.