The Best Creamy Whole30 Ranch Recipe
Creamy, garlicky and loaded with herbs, this Whole30 Ranch is absolutely bursting with flavour! It’s so easy to whip up and it’s perfect as a dip or drizzled over a hearty salad or over roasted vegetables. You won’t go back to store-bought after you make this recipe! Paleo + dairy-free + keto + low carb.
Why you will love this Whole30 Ranch Dressing
- It’s easy to make! The most difficult part would be making homemade mayonnaise, but you can easily skip that and use whole30 compliant store-bought mayonnaise (I have a list below of brands that would work!). Otherwise, you just add everything to a jar and blend. Kind of like a Whole30 Dump Ranch recipe!
- Clean ingredients: The original recipe has added sugar, artificial flavours as well as a ton of preservatives which I can’t pronounce easily. This Whole30 Ranch recipe uses simple ingredients and skips the sugar as it’s really not necessary.
- You can digest it easier. As it’s whole30 compliant, I’ve left out the traditional buttermilk (using almond milk and vinegar instead which curdles and has a similar taste). Dairy can be difficult to digest, making this whole food, dairy-free ranch kinder to your system.
- You can use it in so many ways! This is a delicious recipe to use as a salad dressing, classic ranch dip for veggies, sweet potato fries or chicken wings, or a spread for tacos, sandwiches and burgers (even on lettuce wraps!), in casseroles instead of mayo, or in a potato salad.
Key Ingredients for this Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Mayonnaise: I added my homemade mayo recipe which also happens to be whole30 compliant. This recipe is life changing! I make it with raw egg, lemon juice, salt and olive oil however, any light-tasting oil like avocado oil will work perfectly. I left out the garlic in the mayo, adding it to the ranch instead. It can be a little daunting making your own mayo for the first time but trust me, it’s so easy and you’ll never look back! You can also use store-bought Whole30 compliant mayonnaise. I’ve included a list of brands with links below.
- Almond milk: I add unsweetened almond milk to some vinegar to make whole30 buttermilk. It curdles a little which is just what we want. You could substitute another plant-based unsweetened and unflavoured milk instead if desired, just check the label for things like sugar, additives and preservatives.
- Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother) is my vinegar of choice for this recipe, however, white vinegar would be great as well.
- Herbs: Here is where the flavour comes from! On the back of a Hidden Valley Ranch bottle, they only list dried garlic and onion, so I added fresh garlic and some onion powder. You can use garlic powder if that’s easier, I just love the taste of fresh garlic! It doesn’t actually mention the other herbs so I threw in some dried dill, chives, parsley, and ground black pepper instead of fresh herbs for ease. It tases just right! I skipped the salt as there was already some in the mayonnaise, but you can season with salt as desired.
How to make Whole30 Dump Ranch
1. Begin by making Whole30 buttermilk. All you have to do is add the vinegar to unsweetened almond milk in a food processor or a wide mouth mason jar (with an immersion blender), and let it sit for 5 minutes until it begins to curdle. Weck jars also work perfectly for this recipe!
2. Next, add in whole30 compliant mayonnaise. You can make your own with my recipe (that’s what I did, it’s so easy!) or you can use storebought paleo mayo. Check out the list of compliant mayos below!
3. Now add in the rest of the ingredients for this dairy-free ranch dressing.
4. Blend everything together until it becomes a creamy sauce. If you’re using an immersion blender, plunge it right to the bottom of the jar so the ingredients don’t fly out!
5. Store the creamy ranch in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. The paleo ranch dressing will thicken up a little in the fridge. For best results, I like to let it chill for an hour or two (if I have the time) before consuming it, however, that isn’t necessary.
What mayonnaise brands are Whole30 compliant?
- Primal Kitchen (UK link) (US link)
- Hunter & Gather Food’s Avocado Oil Mayo (UK link)
- Dr Will’s (UK)
- Tessemae’s (US link)
- Sir Kensington’s (US link)
- Chosen Foods (US link)
- Ojai Cook Lemonaise (US link)
- Real Mayonnaise by Trader Joe’s (US)
Vegan Whole30 Mayonnaise
What is ranch sauce made of?
Homemade whole30 ranch is made of basic ingredients: unsweetened almond milk, vinegar, mayonnaise, dill, parsley, chives, onion powder, black pepper and fresh garlic.
Is ranch made with mayo?
Yes! I add my Whole30 Mayonnaise which is a great recipe for beginners, however, you can use one of the premade mayonnaises listed above, or even Hellman’s if you’re not on whole30.
Why is restaurant ranch dressing so good?
Because they make it themselves! I guarantee if you love a restaurant’s ranch, they are making it from scratch in their kitchen. This Whole30 ranch recipe is the restaurant-quality dressing you’re looking for!
How long does ranch last?
This recipe for ranch lasts for up to a week in the fridge. Commercial versions of ranch can last up to a year (!). Want to know more? Check out this post: How Long Does Ranch Last? (+4 signs it’s bad!)
More dip & sauce recipes to try
- SUGAR-FREE KETCHUP
- QUICK BBQ SAUCE WITH SUMAC
- EASY STOUT BBQ SAUCE
- EASY AVGOLEMONO SAUCE
- WHISKY SAUCE FOR HAGGIS
- LOADED VEGAN QUESO DIP
Have you made this recipe? I’d love to know <3 Tag me (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a star rating review below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.
Whole30 Ranch Dressing
Creamy, garlicky and loaded with herbs, this homemade Whole30 Ranch is absolutely bursting with flavour. You won't go back to store-bought!
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 250ml
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar
- 1.5 cups Whole30 compliant mayonnaise *see notes for recipe, 355ml/g
- 1-2 cloves garlic, I used 1 large clove
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried chives
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- (Optional) Begin by making homemade mayonnaise if desired. *see notes for recipe.
- Add the vinegar and unsweetened almond milk to a medium-large jar or food processor and allow it to sit for a minute (it will curdle, that's what we want).
- Add the mayonnaise, garlic, parsley, chives, dill, onion powder, and black pepper, and blend with an immersion blender or in the food processor.
- Season with salt to taste and use immediately or store in the fridge until you're ready. It will keep for up to a week.
*I used my homemade Keto Mayonnaise recipe (which is also whole30 compliant) without the garlic, adding the garlic in later when blending the ranch dressing. The mayonnaise post includes a video - it's really easy to make!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 58Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 0gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information and calculations will vary with the use of different brands or ingredients. These figures are estimates. Please get in touch if you have questions!