21 Ways to Season Frozen Hamburger Patties
Take your frozen burgers from bland to amazing with these 21 Ways to Season Frozen Hamburger Patties. From sprinkling seasoning to slathering sauces and more, customize your frozen burger patties to make them delicious and unique every time!
❤️ Why you will love this post
- Easy: All you have to do is sprinkle, slather, marinate, or add cheese (along with your other favorite toppings). It’s really simple!
- Quick: It’s just as quick as cooking a frozen burger without seasoning. Even quicker if you marinate the burgers and they thaw out!
- So many options: With 21 different ideas, there is something for everyone. Whether you like it spicy or mild you will find the best way to season your frozen patties right here.
- Works for different burgers: The sky is the limit! Try these seasonings with beef patties, turkey burgers, lamb burgers, chicken burgers, or even veggie burgers. It also works for both store-bought or homemade frozen burgers.
🤔 A few things to keep in mind
- Salt: Frozen burgers from the grocery store can often be loaded with salt (sodium). I typically avoid adding extra salt until I’ve tasted the burger and then season it with a sprinkle of salt if needed. Double-check any pre-made seasonings for extra salt and use it sparingly, especially if it’s the first ingredient.
- Marinating: If you marinate the frozen hamburgers in a sauce, they will thaw out and your cooking time will be reduced.
- Cook time: Cooking time varies between appliances and the thickness of the meat. See below for some details about cooking frozen burgers.
🍔 Make your own frozen hamburger patties
My Freezer Burger Recipe is made with fresh meat and seasoning. This recipe turns out so juicy and delicious, even after freezing and cooking! They are great to keep on hand for any time you have burger cravings.
✨ Sprinkle Seasonings
Of course, you can use your imagination here and sprinkle any of your favorite seasonings over frozen burger patties. For best results, I like to spray or brush a little cooking oil or olive oil onto the frozen ground meat patties first before adding the seasonings so that they stick to the meat a little better, particularly if I’m cooking them in a fan oven or air fryer. These are some seasonings that I love to add:
I use my Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe which has chili powder, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and ground black pepper in it. It’s really simple to throw together and so handy for adding flavor to meat and vegetables. You could use store-bought taco seasoning instead or even fajita seasoning.
Cajun seasoning is made with paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, black and white pepper, oregano, and thyme. It makes such flavorful burgers!
Smoky & Spicy Seasoning
(Pictured above) This is what I add to spice up my frozen hamburger patty at home. I mixed 2 teaspoons of smoked paprika with a teaspoon each of chili pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Onion Soup Mix
One of the easiest ways to add flavor to your frozen hamburger patties is by using onion soup mix. Onion soup mix is a combination of dehydrated onions, herbs, and spices that can add a savory, umami flavor to your burgers.
Ranch Seasoning Mix
If you’re a fan of ranch dressing, you’ll love using ranch seasoning mix to season your frozen hamburger patties. Ranch seasoning mix is a blend of herbs and spices that mimic the flavor of ranch dressing, making it a tasty addition to your burgers.
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Seasoning frozen hamburger patties with Montreal Steak Seasoning is a quick and easy way to add some bold flavor to your burger. You can use a pre-made Montreal Steak Seasoning blend or make your own by combining garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt.
🖌️ Slather Sauces
BBQ sauce is a classic slather sauce that adds a smoky, sweet flavor to your burgers. To use BBQ sauce to season your frozen hamburger patties, simply brush a thin layer of sauce on both sides of each patty before cooking. This will help the sauce soak into the meat and give it a delicious BBQ flavor. You can also add some extra BBQ sauce to your burger after it’s cooked for even more flavor.
Hot sauce is a great option for those who like a little heat in their burgers. To use hot sauce to season your frozen hamburger patties, simply drizzle a few drops of your favorite hot sauce onto each patty before cooking. This will give your burgers a spicy kick that pairs well with a variety of toppings.
Ketchup is a classic condiment for burgers and can be used as a slather sauce to add a tangy flavor to your patties. You can spread it on the patty before cooking and/or add it on top after the patty is cooked.
Burger sauce is a mixture of mayonnaise, ketchup, and other seasonings. This sauce can be used as a slather sauce to add a creamy and tangy flavor to your burger patties. You can spread it on the patty before cooking or add it on top after the patty is cooked.
Worcestershire sauce is a savory sauce that can add depth of flavor to your burger patties. To use it as a slather sauce, simply brush it onto the patties before cooking. This sauce pairs well with bold flavors like garlic and onion.
Soy sauce is a great slather sauce option if you want to add an umami flavor to your burger patties. Brush it onto the patties right at the end of cooking for a savory taste that pairs well with mushrooms, onions, and other Asian-inspired toppings.
Teriyaki sauce is a sweet and savory sauce that can be used as a slather sauce for your burger patties. Brush it onto the patties before cooking or add it on top after the patty is cooked. This sauce pairs well with pineapple, avocado, and other tropical flavors.
Taco Truck Green Sauce
Taco Truck Green Sauce is a recipe that I created for tacos but really, it goes on absolutely anything! It’s pretty simple with only 6 ingredients: jalapeños, red onion, garlic, lime, olive oil, and salt. Slather it on before or after cooking the frozen hamburgers.
Marinating frozen hamburger patties is another great way to add flavor to your burgers. When marinating frozen burger patties, it’s important to keep in mind that the patties will absorb the flavors more slowly than fresh ground beef. So, it’s recommended to let them marinate for at least an hour, but preferably overnight. Additionally, make sure to pat the patties dry before cooking to ensure that they cook evenly.
Here are some ideas on how to use different marinades to season your frozen burger patties.
Orange and Honey
Orange and honey marinade is a sweet and tangy option that can add a citrusy flavor to your burger patties. To make this marinade, mix 1 cup of orange juice, 2 tablespoons of honey, and some salt and pepper. Then, place your frozen patties in the marinade and let them sit in the fridge for at least an hour. You can either grill or pan-fry them once they’re ready to cook.
Beer and Worcestershire Sauce
Beer and Worcestershire sauce marinade is a classic option that can give your burger patties a rich and savory flavor. To make this marinade, mix 1 can of beer, 2-3 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, and 1-2 teaspoons of garlic powder. Then, place your frozen patties in the marinade and let them sit in the fridge for at least an hour. You can either grill or pan-fry them once they’re ready to cook.
Jack and Coke
Jack and Coke marinade is a unique option that can add a sweet and smoky flavor to your burger patties. To make this marinade, mix 2 shots of whiskey, 1 can of Coca-Cola, and a little brown sugar (if needed, to taste). Then, place your frozen patties in the marinade and let them sit in the fridge for at least an hour. You can either grill or pan-fry them once they’re ready to cook.
🧀 Top it with a Slice of Cheese
If you’re looking to add some extra flavor to your frozen hamburger patties, but don’t want to play around with sauces and seasonings, why not try adding some cheese to them? Here are some popular cheese options and tips for seasoning your burgers:
Mozzarella cheese is a mild, creamy cheese that pairs well with beef. To add mozzarella to your frozen patty, simply place a slice on top of the patty during the last minute of cooking.
Cheddar cheese is a classic choice for burgers. To add cheddar to your frozen patties, place a slice on top during the last minute of cooking.
If you’re looking to add some cheesy spice to your burgers, try pepper jack cheese. To add pepper jack to your frozen patties, place a slice on top during the last minute of cooking.
Blue cheese is a bold and funky choice for burgers that pairs well with bold flavors like bacon or caramelized onions. To add blue cheese to your frozen patties, crumble a small amount on top of each patty during the last minute of cooking.
🍳 The best ways to cook frozen beef burgers
Remember to cook your burgers to a safe internal temperature. The ideal temperature is 160°F (71°C) in the middle. The easiest way to check is with a meat thermometer or an instant-read thermometer. I also like to wrap the juicy burgers in aluminum foil to keep them warm if it’s going to be a couple of minutes until dinner.
- Grill: The classic way (and my favorite way) to cook delicious burgers is over a charcoal grill. Cook the frozen burgers for 15-20 minutes flipping them halfway through. Be sure to toast your hamburger buns on the hot grill as well before serving! If you’re looking to make the juiciest grilled burgers, be sure to check out my Worcestershire Sauce Burger.
- Oven-baked: Perfect for a busy weeknight dinner, baking burgers in the oven is a great way to make a large batch of hamburgers when you don’t want to fire up the grill. To cook burgers in the oven, preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F and bake them in a single layer on a baking sheet for 20-25 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 71°C/160°F.
- Air Fryer: Making perfect burgers is so easy in the air fryer! This is great for making a batch of 3-4 hamburgers. Preheat the air fryer to 178°C/350 degrees Fahrenheit and air fry the frozen patties for 8-10 minutes in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Stovetop: The fourth easy way to cook frozen burgers is on the stovetop. Heat a large frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with a little spray of oil. Cook the frozen patties for 3-5 minutes on each side until they are heated through.
Any leftover burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat them thoroughly before serving.
🍽️ What to serve with the perfect juicy burger
- Barbecue sauce
- Spicy Mayo
- Burger Sauce
- Taco Truck Green Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Caramelized onions
- Raw onions
- French Fries
- Sweet potato fries
- Curly Fries
- Pickled Beet Salad
- Simple salad
- Potato chips
- Potato salad
😋 More frozen recipes you will love
- Homemade Frozen Meatballs
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Frozen Cookie Dough
- Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Drumsticks
Have you ever seasoned frozen hamburger patties? I’d love to know <3 Tag me (@makehealthyrecipes) on Facebook and Instagram, Pin it on Pinterest, and please leave a comment below! Don’t forget to subscribe to the email list (top right of this page) for sparkly new recipes in your inbox.